TranslateThe Hub

2020 China Trip Communications


China Trip Participants and Families,

By now, many of you are likely aware of the recent news reports on the coronavirus (also referred to in the media as the Wuhan virus). 

We are writing to assure you that we are aware of the reports, have been following the news, and have been in touch with our partner group, Rustic Pathways.  Attached, you will find a global safety statement from Rustic Pathways, which may answer a number of your questions regarding our trip and the coronavirus.  

We will continue to monitor the situation and gather more information from multiple sources, including the CDC, the World Health Organization, and our collaborators on the ground in China. Updates and additional information on the virus continue to be posted. As our knowledge of the situation improves, we will reach out to families with more information and, if necessary, any modifications to our plans. 

Thank you to those of you who have reached out to us with your concerns, we will continue to pay close attention to this development and will communicate clearly with you in the coming days and weeks.

In Collaboration,
Erin Aitchison and Emily Lin


China Trip Participants and Families,

Just a few moments ago the CDC increased their travel advisory for China to level 3 (avoid all nonessential travel).  We will be reaching out to our partner, Rustic Pathways, to work through next steps and follow up with a larger communication to all of you.

We greatly appreciate your patience as we continue to work through and monitor this developing situation. 

Erin and Emily



Dear Students and Families,

We want to thank you for your patience over these past few days as we met as a team to discuss all the possible outcomes and options for the China trip.  We have been in communication with Rustic Pathways, reached out to other schools, spoke with infectious disease physicians and have had the CDC and WHO as constant tabs on our computer screens. The safety of our students and leaders was and continues to be, at the forefront of our minds. 

You’ll be receiving communication from our partner, Rustic Pathways, notifying you that we will be suspending this year’s China trip and moving it to the next school year (2020-2021).  Understanding that we have a large group of juniors who will no doubt be interested in participating on the Senior trip next year, we are looking at possible options outside of spring break. At first look, we are considering moving the trip to mid-winter break in February of 2021.  We will still need to solidify those dates with the school calendar and with Rustic Pathways, but we wanted you to have some sense of the time frame we are considering. We will communicate dates once we have confirmed with all parties.

Looking forward, we will suspend payments, trip meetings and the visa application for the China trip and resume next school year.  For payments already made, we can either roll them into next year or, should you rather, we can refund you the amount paid thus far (minus the deposit). We will use the deposit to hold your student’s spot on next year’s trip.  Trip financial aid grants will also carry over.

We also acknowledge that new dates may not work for all participants.  Should you wish to cancel your student’s participation, we will refund your deposit and payments made thus far. We are asking that families communicate this decision to cancel participation by Friday, May 1st, 2020.

Thank you again for your patience and trust in our program.  We understand this may come as a disappointment to all involved.  We hope the postponement, rather than cancellation brings some silver lining.  

Please feel free to reach out, should you have any questions.
Erin and Emily