SEATTLE ACADEMY is seeking a Controller to take responsibility for the overall management and integrity of the School’s financial records by maintaining and overseeing financial transactions and accounting records, and establishing and maintaining appropriate controls, policies, and procedures. The School’s endowment is $18 million, and the annual operating budget is $33 million.
We are seeking a collaborative team player with a high degree of integrity, accuracy, and in-depth accounting and finance experience. This is an integral role in support of the strategies and activities of our vibrant, innovative educational community in support of our mission of preparing students for college and life. A successful candidate embraces the SAAS culture and thrives in a fast-paced, student-centered environment, and works well independently and in teams. Confidentiality, being able to exercise sound judgement, ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders, and to balance projects with day-to-day activities are key to fulfilling this role.
The Controller reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
General Accounting and Finance
- Responsible for all accounting functions, ensuring accurate and timely financial information
- Prepare account reconciliations and financial statements on a monthly basis
- Maintain fixed asset schedule and depreciation
- Serve as lead person for the annual audit, including preparing schedules for auditors and generating the financial statements and related footnotes
- Coordinate preparation for the annual Form 990
- Reconcile annual fund, capital campaign gifts and other donations with Advancement
- Maintain internal financial controls
- Research and launch online enrollment agreements
- Monitor past due accounts for collection
- Oversee cash receipts and bank deposits
- Oversee cash disbursements in accordance with School policies
- Prepare filings for use and other taxes
Payroll and Payroll-Related Expenses
- Coordinate exchange of information for semimonthly payroll
- Prepare journal entries for payroll disbursement
- Prepare semimonthly 403(b) Retirement Plan calculations and transmit data to the Plan Recordkeeper and Custodian
- Prepare annual census report for the Retirement Plan Recordkeeper
- Serve as lead person for the Retirement Plan audit and Form 5500 reporting
In addition, experience of a successful candidate would include:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration or equivalent business experience and 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in non-profit accounting. Independent School experience is a plus.
- CPA preferred.
- Proficiency in accounting systems and Microsoft excel required; ability to learn MIP accounting system.
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to multi-task, and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all constituents in a school environment, including faculty, staff, administration, parents and students.
- Pass background check and fingerprint clearance.
SEATTLE ACADEMY is a dynamic, urban school, grades 6-12. Our diverse faculty is exceptionally qualified, strong academically, and combine rich life experience with passion for their disciplines. Our teaching philosophy is geared toward knowing the kid, meeting them where they are academically, and understanding that talents are born, made, and discovered. Join us in making that a reality for our students at SAAS!
Seattle Academy provides Equal Employment Opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with the applicable federal, state, and local laws.
SAAS offers a competitive salary and benefit package. Cover letters and resumes by email ONLY to: email@example.com with Controller position in the subject line. PDF format is preferred.