Seattle Academy is seeking a DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR to take responsibility for the overall management and integrity of the School’s multiple databases by maintaining and overseeing the maintenance, back-up, query writing, and establishing and maintaining appropriate controls, policies, and procedures.
We are seeking a collaborative team player with a high degree of integrity, accuracy, and in-depth database administration experience. This is an integral role in support of the strategies and activities of our vibrant, innovative educational community in support of our mission of preparing students for college and life. A successful candidate embraces the SAAS culture and thrives in a fast-paced, student-centered environment, and works well independently and in teams. Confidentiality, being able to exercise sound judgement, ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders, and to balance projects with day-to-day activities are key to fulfilling this role.
The Database Administrator reports to the Chief Technology Officer.
Database Administrator Responsibilities:
- Maintains and repairs in-school databases.
- Coordinates database management with firms for hosted database systems.
- Identifies database requirements by analyzing school operations; evaluating existing systems and designing proposed systems.
- Recommends solutions by defining database physical structure and functional capabilities, database security, data back-up, and recovery specifications.
- Installs revised or new systems by proposing specifications; recommending optimum access techniques; and coordinating installation requirements.
- Maintains database performance by calculating optimum values for database parameters; implementing new releases; completing maintenance requirements; evaluating computer operating systems and hardware products.
- Prepares users by conducting training; providing information; resolving problems.
- Provides information by answering questions and pulling queried reports.
- Supports database functions by designing and coding utilities.
- Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications and benchmarking state-of-the-art practices.
- Provides technical support to database end users as needed.
Database Administrator Skills and Qualifications:
- Proficiency in SQL, Crystal Reports, query writing.
- Familiar with Learning Management Systems: Schoology, Moodle, or Other
- Experience with a school registrar and scheduling databases
- Database Performance Tuning, Promoting Process Improvement, Problem Solving,
- Knowledge of database security and information security policies
- Experience with Google Apps for Education a plus
- Experience with Point of Sale data systems a plus
- Knowledge of Cisco switches and hardware repair a plus.
In addition, experience of a successful candidate would include:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in database administration. Independent School experience is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to multi-task, and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all constituents in a school environment, including faculty, staff, administration, parents and students.
Cover letters and resumes by email ONLY to: email@example.com with Database Administrator position in the subject line. PDF format is preferred.