Director of Security
SEATTLE ACADEMY is a dynamic community that challenges students to question, imagine, and create in order to contribute boldly to a changing world. This mission comes alive in our urban school setting where we serve grades 6 – 12 in a vibrant, independent school environment.
Seattle Academy (SAAS) is seeking a Director of Security to provide professional leadership, direction, and coordination of the school’s security functions in alignment with the mission, guiding principles, and values of our school. Our diverse faculty and staff are exceptionally qualified, strong academically, and combine rich life experience with passion for their disciplines.
The Director of Security role is a highly visible and approachable member of our school community whether interacting with a student, being a guest speaker during a class or parent meeting, directing traffic during pick up and drop off, interacting with community neighbors, convening with local law enforcement and community safety groups during incidents or in community partnering, or serving as a key leadership member of various security and safety committees.
- Oversees the security systems, operations, and personnel designed to promote and protect the safety of students, faculty, staff, visitors, physical property, and assets of the SAAS community;
- Leads the development of work scopes, operational procedures, security risk management protocols, and overall strategic planning for the security activities of the school;
- Works in collaboration with the Director of Safety, and Director of Equity & Inclusion, and other members of SAAS leadership in development of inclusive institutional policies that promote being Safe at SAAS;
- Leads, manages, and mentors all security and traffic control personnel (employees or third party contracts) responsible for the day-to day duties of traffic management, patrolling, inspecting the school grounds, and event support security protecting against any threat to our SAAS community members or our school property;
- Manages, responds to, investigates, and reports security incidents, threats, concerns, and building alarms;
- Conducts required and necessary training and drills for the school environment including lock down, violent intruder, shelter in place and other emergency preparedness and evacuation protocols;
- Maintains and reviews security records; periodically report on trends, anomalies, and concerns;
- Consults with and advises events, athletics, community service, and extra-curricular team leaders to analyze risks and security needs for activities held on or off campus;
- Serves as primary security liaison between the school and governmental agencies and/or investigative agencies. Assures compliance with local, state, and federal guidelines;
- Serves as a key leadership member of the SAAS Safety and Wellness Task Force, building safety committees, crisis management teams, and as an active participant in the board risk management committee as required;
- Ensures that security staff is adequately equipped and trained. Develop training plans for security personnel and maintain security training records.
- Develops and conducts security awareness and orientation programs for all personnel or members of SAAS community as needed; and
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned and needed in service of the school
A successful Director of Security would have:
- Knowledge, experience, and a positive track record as a leader in a security-related field;
- Background in leading security teams with imbedded diversity, equity, inclusion and access priorities with experience in anti-bias security protocols; Desire, interest, and enthusiasm for working in an environment with middle and upper school-aged students;
- Strong organizational and communication abilities;
- Agility, influence, negotiation, and strong judgment & decision making skills;
- Skills to work effectively with all constituent groups - teachers, parents, students, community, and administrative teams;
- Ability to be calm, competent, and clear in crisis situations; and
- Creative and imaginative problem-solving skills in a school environment.
This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer and is a key member of the operations leadership team.
Seattle Academy provides Equal Employment Opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with the applicable federal, state, and local laws. SAAS offers a competitive salary and excellent benefit package.
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email only with the subject line Director of Security to firstname.lastname@example.org. PDF format is preferred.