Head of Upper School
We have an opening for a HEAD OF UPPER SCHOOL to join our administrative team, starting in June 2019. This position will supervise and work closely with the Assistant Head of Upper School and Upper School Dean of Students to help cultivate relationships with students, faculty, and parents to create a rewarding Upper School experience. This role reports to the Assistant Head of School (US) and collaborates with the school’s senior leadership across the Middle and Upper Schools to maintain alignment with the mission.
General areas of responsibility include:
- Oversees upper school student and faculty progress, development and discipline;
- Promotes a healthy space for students to positively support them socially, emotionally and academically;
- Facilitates faculty, student and family communication, specifically around student issues and short/long-term plans for academic and behavioral progress;
- Oversees aspects of curriculum and instruction;
- Collaborates with counselling and learning support in support of the student/family experience;
- Guides Upper School budgetary activities in alignment with the school’s long-term strategic and financial plan;
- Serves on administrative steering committee in support of admissions, staffing and programming decisions;
- Facilitates community meetings, events and conversations to inform, collaborate and celebrate the Upper School experience;
- Leads by example while guiding the actions of faculty and students in alignment with the mission and core values;
- May be asked to teach, coach and/or participate in grade level retreats and trips as necessary; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Key characteristics for the position in this position include:
- Compassion, patience, sense of humor, contextual emotional intelligence;
- Strong organizational and communication abilities;
- Agility, influence, negotiation, and strong judgment & decision making skills;
- Ability to work effectively with all constituent groups - teachers, parents, students, and administrative teams;
- Experience with addressing student behavior; and
- Creative and imaginative problem-solver.
Candidates should have past experience in a learning and/or student environment as a leader and/or in a role with oversight of systems, programs and/or people responsible for positive outcomes for students. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of experience in a similar leadership role and/or institutional setting.
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefit package.
Seattle Academy provides Equal Employment Opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with the applicable federal, state, and local laws.
In lieu of phone inquiries, please send a cover letter and résumé (in PDF version) to the US Head of School position at resume@seattleacademy.