Dear 9th Grade Students and Families:
We are looking forward to the Odyssey trip that begins tomorrow. This trip is often cited by graduating seniors as a distinctive experience that informed their sense of who they were as individuals and who they were in relation to our SAAS community. This experience gives students the opportunity to build new relationships and deepen existing ones, reflect on what they want from their high school experience in the next four years, and talk with their peers and trusted adults about the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead. As we ready for our departure, we want to send some final reminders about behavioral expectations and key details.
- While this retreat is an off-campus experience, the same expectations for student behavior apply as if we were on campus. In particular, we want to reference the school’s drug and alcohol policy as stated in the Family and Student Handbook (pp.38-39): “Students may not possess, use, distribute, or sell drugs or alcohol at or in the vicinity of the school, during school hours, or at school-sponsored activities at any time. Violation of this policy will result in serious consequences which may, at the discretion of the Head of School, include immediate and permanent expulsion from the school.” These expectations apply at all times during the retreat, whether students are in transit, camping on Sucia Island, or staying at Camp Orkila. Should students make choices that are not in alignment with SAAS Core Values or in breach of our policies, the family will be expected to pick the student up from the trip as soon as possible. We will then engage them in our disciplinary process as we would should something happen on campus.
- CELL PHONES: Students should not expect to bring their phones on the retreat as we want to create an environment where students are engaging with their peers rather than their screens. We'd like to ask for parents' help in enforcing this expectation. We anticipate returning to SAAS between 3:30 pm and 5:00 pm on Friday afternoon. We will communicate with families once we have a more accurate return time (dependent upon traffic as we drive down from Anacortes), so students don't need their phones to communicate about their return.
- Please submit a negative COVID test result here. Students will not be permitted to participate without submitting a negative test.
- Please make sure any and all permission forms have been submitted. Parents and Guardians can access them here.
- Please drop your 9th grader between 7:00 AM - 7:15 AM at the 16th Ave Parking Lot on Wednesday, September 28. Students will check in at the tables, then find their advisors.
- Bring a SACK LUNCH for Wednesday.
We are excited to launch the Odyssey trip for 2022, and we thank you for your partnership in helping to prepare students for an excellent experience.
If you have any questions about trip logistics, please contact Freddy Carley, Zac Townsend, or Clarke Grayson.
For all other questions or concerns, please reach out to Catherine Ezzo (Head of Upper School), Jarad Gifford (Assistant Head of Upper School), or Alisha Agard (9/10 Dean of Students).
Head of Upper School