At Seattle Academy, world language study fosters global awareness, intellectual curiosity, and an understanding of the learning process. Courses in the World Language Department emphasize communication and global perspective. All teachers in the World Language Department strive to create a positive, dynamic learning environment where students continually improve their abilities to produce and comprehend the target language. Our program is divided into two components: a two-year Latin program in grades 6-7, and a modern language program that starts in the 8th grade.
- What languages are offered?
- Are classes grade-level based or proficiency-based?
- How are students placed in a modern language classes?
- What levels of modern languages are offered?
- How many World Language credits are required for graduation?
- Can students meet graduation requirements by studying languages that are not offered by SAAS?
- Are there trips associated with language classes?
- Are these trips for Upper School students only, or are there opportunities for Middle School students as well?
- Is Latin required?
- How is Latin used after 7th Grade?