At Seattle Academy, world language study fosters global awareness, intellectual curiosity, and an understanding of the learning process. Courses in the World Languages Department emphasize communication and global perspective. All teachers in the World Languages Department strive to create a positive, dynamic learning environment where students continually develop their comprehension and production of the target language. The program begins in 6th grade with a study of components of Latin and English grammar as well as an introduction to the modern languages. Beginning in the 7th grade, students may choose to study Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, or French. In the Upper School, students may continue to study the language they chose in Middle School, or they may choose to switch to a different modern language.
- What languages are offered?
- How are students placed in a modern language classes?
- How many World Languages credits are required for graduation?
- Can students study other languages that are not currently offered by SAAS for credit?
- Are there trips associated with language classes?
- Are language courses required in the Middle School?