How to Apply
We have thoughtfully created our admissions process to introduce you to Seattle Academy. We know you will be as excited as we are!
We have met enrollment goals for fall, however we are currently accepting second round applications for our wait pool. Given the shifting landscape in these unusual times, we will act quickly if there is an opportunity to invite another family. Please see more details about this process below under “Late Application Process”.
Applications for the 2020-2021 school year will be accepted beginning on September 1, 2019.
Visit our important dates page for more information.
- APPLICATION PROCESS OVERVIEW
- SIBLING APPLICATION PROCESS
- LATE APPLICATION PROCESS
- OUT OF STATE
- INTERNATIONAL APPLICATIONS
- DECISION PROCESS
Information regarding the specific components of the application is included below.
The application is easy to complete and includes:
- Biographical Information
- Student Interest Sheet
- Student Essay
- Parent/Guardian Statement
- $75 non-refundable application fee.*
Please note: As soon as the application has been submitted, you can schedule your required student visit day and parent/guardian interview. Visit days and interviews begin in early November and continue through the end of February and fill quickly, so applicants are encouraged to register early.
*Please email us at email@example.com for an application fee waiver.
Once an application is submitted by the deadline, prospective students can be scheduled for a visit. We recommend scheduling a visit day as soon as possible as spots will fill quickly.
Families will receive an email with specific details regarding the visit day following registration. Snack, lunch, and all necessary supplies for the day are provided. Applicants should dress comfortably for PE and movement classes.
- On a Middle School visit day, applicants are fully active in their classes, experiencing Academics, Arts, and PE.
- For Upper School visits, applicants are scheduled into classes according to the interests indicated on their applications.
Learning About Student Life:
Applicants will experience the school, both in and out of the classroom. There will be structured time between visiting and current students to share stories about clubs, activities, sports, trips, and the culture of the school--what student life feels like at SAAS.
After visit day drop-off, parents and guardians are encouraged to remain for an open forum discussion with Seattle Academy Head of School Rob Phillips and representatives from both the Administrative and Academic Leadership teams. This experience is extremely beneficial for families as they pose questions to the SAAS Team and gather perspectives from other parents. The session starts at 8:15 AM and ends at 9:30 AM, with opportunity after for individual follow-up questions. This discussion is not a required step in the Admission Process and parents may leave as needed throughout the session.
Every family who completes and submits an application before the deadline may then schedule the required parent/guardian interview. This interview lasts approximately 30 minutes. Your child should not attend the meeting. This 30-minute interview provides an opportunity for an in-depth exchange of information to determine if Seattle Academy is the best choice for your family. Interpreter services are available upon request. Families will receive information regarding this process at the time that interviews are scheduled.
Requests for transcripts and teacher evaluations must be submitted to schools by the Tuesday, January 16, 2020 application deadline to ensure a complete application for admission consideration. The required materials are:
- Two (2) Teacher evaluations
- At least one teacher should be a current teacher.
- If possible, the two teachers should address different subjects such as Math/Science and English/History.
- Teacher recommendation letters can supplement your application, but they cannot be submitted in place of the PSIS Teacher evaluations forms. Recommendation letters should be emailed or mailed directly to Seattle Academy from the individual recommending the student.
- Transcripts for the current school year and the two prior school years
(2017-18, 2018-19, and 2019-20)
- Entrance exams should be taken by January 27, 2020 to ensure that results are received prior to final admission decisions.
Due to high volume, transcripts and other materials received the week of January 13th may take up to 3 weeks to be processed by Ravenna. While your application will still be considered in the first round, we ask that you request these materials ASAP.
ISEE (Independent School Entrance Exam) or SSAT (Secondary School Admission Test) tests should be taken by January 27, 2020 to ensure that results are received prior to final admission decisions. We are registered as Seattle Academy. Our school codes are 481154 (ISEE) and 7240 (SSAT). Seattle Academy accepts either the ISEE or the SSAT with no preference for one test over the other.
Current entrance exams scores are required for all applicants.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a waiver for either entrance exam fee. Please specify which test you wish to take.
The early decision process is intended for sibling families applying for admission in 6th or 9th grades and who are applying ONLY to Seattle Academy. We are unable to offer early decision for all other grades, as openings in those grades are dependent upon attrition. If a sibling applicant pursues applications at other schools, their Seattle Academy application will become part of the general admission process. For purposes of this policy, Seattle Academy defines a sibling as:
- the biological, adopted, or stepchild of a current Seattle Academy custodial parent or guardian
- the biological, adopted, or step-sibling of an alumnus who has graduated from Seattle Academy within the last 5 years.
Please note: Siblings of students who attended Seattle Academy, but did not graduate from Seattle Academy, are not eligible for the early decision process.
Please submit the online application no later than November 1, 2019 via Ravenna, our online application portal. For families applying for financial aid, you can access the School and Student Services (SSS) application directly through your Ravenna account. First-time users will be asked to create an account, although if you have used Ravenna in the past, you may use your existing login information.
Once the application is completed, you will have the opportunity to sign up for a visit day and parent/guardian interview that falls within the early decision timeline. Additionally, all supplemental materials must be received by November 22, 2019. ISEE/SSAT entrance exams must be completed by no later than December 7, 2019. Sibling financial aid applications must be completed by December 16, 2019.
To view available dates and register, please visit the ISEE or SSAT websites by clicking on the links below.
Please note that our Ravenna application will open on September 1, 2019, and early-decision notifications will be available on December 18, 2019.
Late Applications Submitted After the January 16, 2020 Deadline
We are currently accepting second round applications for possible placement in Fall 2020. As enrollment goals have been met for the school year, second-round applicants will be placed in the wait pool upon completion of the application. Should space become available, we would invite a family from the wait pool as soon as possible. Second Round Applications may remain in consideration until the first day of the upcoming school year.
All applications are outlined and submitted through the Ravenna website.
- Completed application and non-refundable $75 application fee
- Supplemental Materials:
- Student Statement
- Parent/Guardian Statement
- Two Teacher Evaluations, one must be from the current year
- Transcripts for the current school year and the two prior school years
- Standardized Test Scores
- Typically these come from ISEE or SSAT Test Scores.Our school codes are 481154 (ISEE) and 7240 (SSAT). Both of these testing organizations are in the process of launching at-home testing options for the entrance exam, however given these unprecedented times, we will accept other standardized test scores from your student’s records. These scores should come from tests completed in the last year if possible, however given the disruption to school testing this year, we will accept scores from the prior year if needed. If neither option is available to your family, please reach out to us. To request a need-based application waiver for the ISEE or SSAT, please email email@example.com.
- Student Interview and Parent/Guardian Interview
- Once your application steps are complete, we will contact you to schedule separate parent and student interview, both of which are being held via a video or telephone call.
To request a need-based application waiver, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seattle Academy is not authorized to issue the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for students.
For students not requiring the I-20, accommodations for visit days and interviews will be offered to families unable to visit Seattle Academy in person. All other requirements and deadlines are the same as outlined above.
Seattle Academy defines international students as students that
- Are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States
- AND currently attending a school outside of the U.S.
Seattle Academy is not authorized to issue the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for international students. For students not requiring the I-20, accommodations for visit days and interviews will be offered to families unable to visit in person. All other requirements and deadlines are the same for domestic and international applicants.We will accept, but we do not require, an English fluency exam.
Families are required to apply directly to our school and be available for communication throughout the admission process. Boarding accommodations, host families, and homestays are not offered.
The Decision Committee reviews information from all components of each application and includes the student visit day, the parent/guardian interview, and the parent/guardian discussion.
If a required step is incomplete at the time that admission decisions are made, the committee may choose to withhold an admission decision for the applicant. See Important Dates tabs for more details about the timeline.
Based on the number of applicants to a grade, some families may be placed on a waitlist. Families have the option to remain on or may decline the waitlist invitation. Waitlist applicants are considered on a case-by-case basis. If a space becomes available, the Admission Office will contact families to determine interest in attending Seattle Academy.
To request a need-based waiver for any required component of our application process, please email email@example.com.